The mind, when housed within a healthful body, possesses a glorious sense of power.
– Joseph Pilates
Since the 1920’s, one of the most exciting aspects of Pilates is that it continues to offer a great workout for people of all ages and fitness levels. No matter where you are in life, you will most definitely benefit from practicing Pilates. Here are five reasons why you should incorporate Pilates practice into your daily life:
- Balance out. By learning how to stabilize your core while moving in all ranges of motion, you gain better balance. Strengthening those small, deep core muscles will keep you standing strong whether you’re working on your golf game or simply doing laundry, while connecting mind to body will help with coordination and movement to keep you strong throughout your daily routine.
- Work through injury. Whether you’re recovering from back surgery or pesky knee pain, Pilates offers a low-impact, safe and effective workout to continue strengthening and stretching to help you recover. Rausch Physical Therapy constantly refers its patients to our studio for continued care and wellness.
- Relax and rejuvenate. A weekly Pilates routine leads to improved circulation, which releases tension and leaves you amazing after every class. Also, feeling the results of being strong, healthy and fit will improve your overall quality of life and increase your mental outlook!
- Gain a competitive edge. I recently read an article about NFL players incorporating Pilates into their workouts and praising its benefits. With improved flexibility, balance and strength, it’s no surprise athletes see greater output in athletic performance after adding Pilates to their cross-training program. Stretching and strengthening the hip flexor, glutes and hips helps put a little extra power into athletic performance, while the emphasis on elongating the muscles and increasing range of motion can help prevent injuries.
- Enjoy a happier pregnancy. Pilates offers a gentle yet effective workout that’s safe for both mommy and baby throughout the entire pregnancy. Practicing Pilates while pregnant will not only strengthen your upper body, legs and hips to help that post-baby body bounce right back, but it also helps you enjoy a healthier, happier pregnancy. You’ll also strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which can lead to an easier labor and delivery!
There are so many rewards for a dedicated Pilates student, but here’s the bottom line: no matter who you are, what your fitness level is, or how busy you think you are—everyone can benefit from Pilates. That’s why at ABC Pilates, we have a variety of classes that are designed for anyone and everyone, and we’re here to help YOU reap all the benefits that Pilates has to offer.
ABC Pilates Studio Manager & Instructor